first residents of Forest Park moved into the community during the
summer of 1956. A meeting was held on April 10, 1957 hosted by Mr.
Warner developer of Forest Park to help the Forest Park women organize
a club. The need for a club was strongly felt since the women were
few in numbers and in the “middle of nowhere,” it would
be a way of getting together socially. An election of officers was
held; the constitution and by-laws were adopted. A dinner was held
on June 19, 1957, hosted by the Greenhills Women’s Club and
the first officers of the Forest Park Women’s Club were installed.
From the very beginning our club assisted the Union Central Life Insurance
Company to rezone land so they could relocate to Forest Park. The
club was successful in getting a branch of the Public Library located
here as well as starting and supporting libraries at Kemper Heights
and Cameron Park schools. Women’s Club took over printing the
Forest Park Newsletter, later changed to the Village Voice Newspaper.
Five thousand dollars was donated to the Fire Department for their
first ambulance and in the following years purchased two resuscitators,
another fund for the purchase of a second ambulance, and the purchase
of a thermo-heat detector camera. Rosie the Robot was bought for our
police department for use as a school training aid along with Teddy
Bears and little hand made quilts for traumatized children. Forest
Park Women’s Club donated $2,500 toward the Bicentennial Plaza
located at Winton & Kemper Roads and also presented the city with
a bicentennial fountain. Park benches were purchased yearly by our
club and placed throughout Forest Park. Over 8000 mailings were sent
by members proving successful in bringing the first Hospice to Cincinnati.
The ladies also worked collecting gifts for the first WCET Action
Over the years, the club has participated in many types of fundraising
such as dances, surveys, selling cookbooks and community directories,
folding boxes, rummage sales, raffles, candy sales, kitchen buddies,
selling tickets for two different area Homemaramas, and other projects.
The big money maker however is the Craft Show held for 24 years presently
located at the Winton Woods High School the last Saturday of every
Although the club has donated extensively over the years, our main
goal is the scholarship fund. The first scholarship was awarded in
1967 and increased to two in 1971 and in following years 4 scholarships
of $500 each have been presented to senior students attending Winton
Woods, Roger Bacon, Xavier, Greenhills High Schools and others while
residing in our community. The disbursement committee sent donations,
at the written requests/suggestions by the members, to the Salvation
Army, Red Cross, S.O.U.L. Pantry, Leukemia Foundation, Hoxworth Blood
Center, and Mathew 2 Ministries to name a few. The ladies have also
sponsored a local boy scout and girl scout troop for many years, Winton
House, Longview Hospital, The Elite Nursing Home, later Ridge Nursing
Home and presently the Meadows in Forest Park have been given many
bingo and holiday parties including gifts and clothing.
Our club was federated from 1962 to 1970. Our members have accumulated
thousands of volunteer hours yearly and continue to sew for Children’s
Hospital, Drake Hospital and the Alois Alzheimer Center. Little caps
are knit for newborn babies at Good Samaritan Hospital, treatment
turbans made for cancer patients and disposable pillows for Hospice.
Winter clothing is donated for Winton Woods school children and meals
on wheels delivered, tutoring in our schools and books are given for
soldiers and various clinics, just to name a few.
Forest Park Women’s Club was founded in 1957 and was named the
oldest continuous organization in our community and inducted into
the Forest Park Civic Hall of Fame in 2001.